Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tooth Fairy

At our house it can take many days for the tooth fairy to remember to visit.
land_camera_land_camera via photopin cc

Usually by that time the tooth has long since disappeared which (as I explained to my children) isn't a problem because as long as there was a genuine lost tooth at some point, the tooth fairy is happy to leave money.  When she finally remembers to visit.

Hey, what can I say,  the tooth fairy's brain doesn't function all that well in the evening.

It wasn't always this way though.  When Oldest Girl was losing her first teeth the tooth fairy was much more on the ball.  Once she lost a tooth while we were on vacation in France.  She went to bed, tooth under pillow, confident that the tooth fairy would find her.

So the Professor and I stayed up late writing a letter from the tooth fairy  IN FRENCH,  which, no, neither of us really knows beyond a few words, using only a English copy of Harry Potter and the French version of Harry Potter (which happened to be in the cottage we were renting) to find the necessary vocabulary.*

She was delighted.

Fast forward to this morning.  Imagination boy loses a tooth while eating breakfast.

"Hey Mom,  Do you want to just buy the tooth from me now so I don't have to bother putting it under my pillow and I don't have to keep reminding you every night?"

Sigh.  Where has the magic gone?


____________
*the crazy things we did in the dark days before we had smart phones


No comments:

Post a Comment